Scents and Fragrances
Whether you wish to call them scents or fragrances, we hope to provide additional details that help give a better example of what to expect when you first encounter the scent. We use Essential Oils, many are certified organic, as well as fragrance blends we acquire from other makers. All pre-formulated fragrances we use are proprietary to their maker and are all 100% phthalate free.
An update to our Scent / Fragrance listing is in the works. We are migrating the different scent lists we have been managing into one single list that allows you to search our entire store by Scent. This will make it easier for you to see all the items available in your favorite fragrance all at once. This will include our candles which are variants of other scents we use. This method will make it easier to find the optimal pairing across all products that are available in any given scent.
Another change in the early stages will be to isolate “core” scent variations for each product into one listing, then all other scents we make available will be sorted and put into 1 of 3 season categories and made available only during their respective seasons. Our Seasons will be SPRING-SUMMER, FALL and WINTER. Seasonal scents will have a set cycle and will not be included in Subscription options. There will likely be some overlap of seasonal availability, with outgoing scents being placed in Clearance. Seasonal scents may not return the next year if it was not that popular. Seasonal Scents may also be slightly higher in price as these scents tend to be more costly for us and there is extra work involved with seasonal production.
If festivals return in 2021, we are considering scenting Beard Oils to order for our less common fragrance options.
Our Scent Options
Following below is a very comprehensive list of fragrances we across both of our brands. Our most popular are available in many of our various soap, skin and hair products for you to layer to stay on theme when using them in combination. We do our best to call out ingredient essential oils and scent notes where we can. To assist others, review the products you have tried with your take on a scent.
J&L POGONOTROPHICS’ Core Fragrances
CORE SCENTS: These options are consistently pre-made and ready to ship. They are generally our most often purchased scents and many have been with us since our founding.
- ABSINTHE / d’ABSENTE – anise, peppermint, citrus and a touch of rosemary
- HAVANA – aged tobacco leaf
- JAKARTA – formerly Exotic Spice, dark patchouli, rosewood, lavender, eucalyptus
- LEXINGTON – formerly Bourbon & Sandalwood, caramel-like notes with the warmth of sandalwood
- OCEANIA – formerly Tea Tree & Lemongrass, crisp and light with citrus-like notes
- OXFORD – formerly Cedar & Leather, a classic masculine cologne scent
- FRONTIERSMAN – traditional pine with cedar, balsam and fir needle (new name for our original wood oil blend)
SCENTED TO ORDER: These scents for Beard Care may be available as a customized option that will be made upon ordering. Some are former favorites that became less popular as we added more options, others are new scents we are presenting as a means to try them out or give alternate options.
- BAY RUM – a classic men’s fragrance, rich in spices
- BAMBOO FOREST – lighter crisp grassy scent with sweet notes, with warm wood mid notes
- DARK ROAST – dark coffee scent
- HOWARD’S PIPE – cherry pipe tobacco
- LAKESIDE – a lighter ‘Fresh Water’ scent with sweeter notes
- LEATHER – the aroma of tanned black leather
- LIME SAGE – used in our shaving line, simple mellow scent
- ATHENS – formerly CLASSIC SPICE, blend of resin based scents of amber, frankincense and myrrh
- TAROCCO – bitter citrus with blood orange, bergamot and grapefruit
- SEASIDE – a deeper ‘Fresh Water’ scent with notes of spice and wood
Although these scents are considered our “Beard Care” options, many are available in other product lines.
In our Shaving line we introduced scent options over the last year. Our Soaps, Shaving Cream, After Shave Lotion and Shaving Oil all have fragrance options.
- BAY RUM – same as above
- EUCALYPTUS MINT – sharp mix of essential oils to liven up your face
- LIME SAGE (also labeled as just Lime, this is our ORIGINAL shaving line scent)
- OXFORD – same as above
- SANDALWOOD – warm subtle scent
J&L APOTHECARY Fragrances
In addition to some of the Beard Care scents listed above, we offer a broad array of fragrances which we use in various Apothecary products. Below is a list with key scent notes.
- GRAPEFRUIT HERB – pink grapefruit with rosemary and a touch of lime
- GRAPEFRUIT RHUBARB – pink grapefruit paired with rhubarb
- LONDON – floral scent of rose & peony
- MONT VENTOUX – French lavender
- MATCHA MINT – traditional Japanese green tea with a touch of spearmint
- TEA TREE – simple tea tree oil is used for its many benefits
- SHANGHAI – white nectarine, ginger, green tea and cardamom
- ARUBA – tropical punch of mango and coconut
- BAMBOO FOREST – lighter crisp grassy scent with sweet notes, with warm wood mid notes
- BLUEBERRY THYME – deep berry scent with light herbaceous notes
- SEASIDE – a deeper ‘Fresh Water’ scent with deeper notes of spice, fruit and wood
Unscented and Natural Scents
These mean the exact same thing to us. Any item we offer that uses either of these descriptors is 100% FREE of any fragrance oils and carry only the natural scents of all ingredients. In certain items where we use essential oils for any of their known properties for skin and hair, the essential oils will naturally add a fragrance which would not be masked by any other scent option. Many of the ingredients we use have their own natural fragrances that some may find less appealing that a “fragrance” option, but are not generally off-putting and will dissipate once applied. This does not mean they are “scented” but are indeed NATURAL and UNSCENTED.
ALLERGIES and RETURN POLICY
Scents are a highly subjective personal preference item. Knowing the limitations that being an online retailer presents in demonstrating fragrances, we try our best to give a strong idea of what you may expect when purchasing any of our fragrance options. Yet, no matter what great detail we may go into to “paint a scent profile” you may find it is not accurate enough. Also, we are unable to detail the exact ingredients that go into each fragrance. Where possible, we list the essential oils we use but in other options we are relying upon scent formulas we acquire that we may also blend with other scents and essential oils to meet our goal in a fragrance. These 3rd party scents are tested to be less likely to be harmful and are used by personal care and cosmetic makers large and small around the world.
If you are prone to have allergic reactions, we ask that you pay close attention to what details we offer in regards to the fragrance. If you do purchase an item, please perform a small patch test first. If you discover you have a strong reaction to the product, we will issue you an account credit for the purchase price of the item.
If you discover that the scent is very off-putting and offensive, we will also provide a courtesy account credit for the purchase price of the item. This is a ONE TIME option per scent or product. We can consult with you more directly about finding the right scent formulation that would suit your tastes best and may offer to send you a replacement in lieu of the account credit. We do not offer any guarantee that you will love any specific scent as that would be unrealistic and virtually impossible. Even our most popular and well loved scents are very unpleasant to others; this is only logical and is why we provide so many options. Where others may not even give you an option in fragrance, we usually have at least 2 or 3 presented.
We attempt to offer as many options as possible to allow you to bond not only with the performance of the product but are able to make that emotional connection through scent. As you can see from above, we offer a lot of options in the way of scents. The size of our business makes this easy and less expensive that it would be for a larger maker. Over time, we have found that some scents pair more sensibly with the seasons. Lighter, crisp options do better doing warmer weather, while warm spiced scents do better during cold months. In the very near future you will find that our fragrance options for our 2nd tier scents will be more readily available at the start of a season then will end production towards the end of that season as we make room for the next season’s offerings. For those items where we can easily offer a made to order option, this will be less identifiable distinction.
To make this easier, we are working to establish a method of listing products by scent as well as by the product. This would allow you to see all item options for a scent and we can better call out scent features. Look for this to start happening winter 2020-2021.