All of the fragrances and scents we use are natural and oil based. We use Essential Oils, many are certified organic as well as fragrance blends we acquire from other makers. All pre-formulated fragrances we use are proprietary to their maker and are all 100% pthalate free.
For our beard care line we keep to 8 fragrances that remain in production. As a scent retires, it is still available as a Custom Order under our Expanded Assortment [EA] option. EA items are scented to order
In Spring of 2018 we changed the names for the bulk of our beard care scents. This was not an easy decision for us, knowing that this could easily lead to confusion among our established customers. We list the former name under its new name as well as a brief description. The scent did not change, only the name!
- ABSINTHE – anise, peppermint, citrus and a touch of rosemary
- HAVANA – aged tobacco leaf
- JAKARTA – formerly Exotic Spice, dark patchouli, rosewood, lavender, eucalyptus
- LEXINGTON – formerly Bourbon & Sandalwood, caramel-like notes with the warmth of sandalwood
- OCEANIA – formerly Tea Tree & Lemongrass, crisp and light with citrus-like notes
- OXFORD – formerly Cedar & Leather, a classic masculine cologne scent.
- TAROCCO – bitter citrus with blood orange, bergamot and grapefruit
- WOODSMAN – traditional pine with cedar, balsam and fir needle
In a limited run for late 2019 is a very special scent that has been in high demand since we launched. Depending on how well this goes over, we may add it as a seasonal scent. Look for LEATHER at our festival appearances this August and possible coming soon to our website.
EXPANDED ASSORTMENT: To offer new scents we need to make room for them on our shelves. But, just because we don’t keep it ready to ship, does not mean we cannot offer all those great scents we introduced in the past for those that found them to be their favorite. This is also a means for us to test out new scents or match what is popular with other brands.
- BAY RUM – traditional men’s fragrance
- DARK ROAST – dark coffee scent
- HOWARD’S PIPE – cherry pipe tobacco
- LIME SAGE – used in our shaving line, simple mellow scent
- RAPA NUI (formerly SEA STORM) – our “dark” tropical scent
- SHANGHAI – nectarine, ginger & green tea. Sweetly earthy.
- ATHENS – formerly CLASSIC SPICE, blend of resin based scents of amber, frankincense and myrrh
- KUNUNURRA – teak & sandalwood
- FIRENZE – bay & rosemary
Many Beard Care scents are also available as soaps, lotions, and cologne. The more popular the scent, the more likely you will find it across both brands.
In our Shaving line we introduced scent options over the last year. Our Soaps, Shaving Cream, After Shave Lotion and Shaving Oil all have fragrance options.
- BAY RUM – same as above
- EUCALYPTUS MING – sharp mix of essential oils to liven up your face
- LIME SAGE (also labeled as just Lime, this is our ORIGINAL shaving line scent)
- OXFORD – same as above
- SANDALWOOD – warm subtle scent
J&L APOTHECARY Fragrances
In addition to some of the Beard Care scents listed above, we offer a broad array of fragrances we use in various Apothecary products. Below is a list with key notes. Our scent options change often as we wish to give you as much choice as possible.
- CITRUS GROVE – blend of citrus fruit oils with added herbal notes
- CUCUMBER MELON – natural fragrance oil that smells of the named fruits
- GRAPEFRUIT HERB – pink grapefruit with rosemary and a touch of lime
- GRAPEFRUIT RHUBARB – pink grapefruit paired with rhubarb
- LONDON – floral scent of rose & peony
- MONT VENTOUX – French lavender
- MATCHA MINT – traditional Japanese green tea with spearmint
- TEA TREE – simple tea tree oil is used for its great benefits
- SHANGHAI – white nectarine, ginger, green tea and cardamom
- ARUBA – tropical punch of mango and coconut
- BLUEBERRY THYME – deep berry scent with light herbaceous note
- LAKESIDE – “fresh water” scent that is lighter with a touch of floral notes
- SEASIDE – a darker “fresh water” scent that has notes of fruit
Unscented and Natural Scents
These mean the exact same thing to us. Any item we offer that uses these descriptors is 100% of any fragrance oils and carry only the natural scents of the ingredients. In some items where we use essential oils for any of their properties for skin and hair, the essential oils will naturally add a fragrance. As well as many of the ingredients we use have their own natural fragrance. This does not mean they are “scented” but are indeed NATURAL and UNSCENTED.