New Product Development Specs
Title: ROOM SPRAY
Variations: Assorted Fragrances
Details: Water based natural room deodorizing spray, scented with natural and essential oils
UX: Easy to use pump spray bottle. Spray into environment to refresh home, add fragrance.
Size: 240ml; other sizes considered for later release
Target Price Range: $9.00 to $12.00
ETA: April 2021
Longer than we tossed around the idea of making candles we considered making a “linen spray” a.k.a. Room and Fabric Spray. For those not familiar or possible a little unsure of what we are talking about here; the fundamentals are that of a natural take on common household air freshener sprays. Not going to give brand names to avoid trademark drama.
The natural variant we are working on will be similar to some of those you may already find with other soap makers and essential oil gurus. Some candle makers have been getting in on the act and you can find mass produced mostly natural sprays at most department stores. Like everything we do, we put our own spin on it to make it simple and hopefully better.
Who is this for?
One who wishes to aid some fragrance to the air, to influence a mood or refresh a stale room. This can be achieved in lieu of burning a candle and for those who do not wish to use candles. The idea is that a simple, quick, spray into a room will do the job. Our target user enjoys less common fragrances, wishes for deeper fragrance notes and seeks a level of sophistication that is above cinnamon and vanilla. Such a person also enjoys locally made, hand-crafted or simple natural products. They are savvy, frugal and sensible on how they shop and spend their money. They are willing to pay a little more to have something different, but don’t wish to be excessive to achieve their desired result.
It should go without saying that our aim is to keep it 100% safe to use in your home anywhere it will contact you, your pets and your belongings. Although specific allergies may be impacted by some essential oils me may use, we expect the formula to not damage surfaces, no leave a heavy residue or carry any toxicity to you or your pets. With that at the top of the list, it is also important that it performs just as well as like room sprays. By “like” we mean other natural hand-made room sprays and not name brand room deodorizing sprays. Not that what we come up with can’t compete with such, we are only wishing to compare “green apples to green apples”.
The vehicle portion of the formula, the part that serves to facilitate the distribution of the fragrance oils, will be water and isopropyl alcohol. Water will be 66% of the total volume, 24% alcohol – that’s 90% total! The remaining 10% will be comprised of emulsifier, fragrance and glycerin. That’s it. Alcohol is only used to help with evaporation of the vehicle portion.
Why use an emulsifier?
We all may know that water and oil do not mix, that an emulsifier or solubilizer is required to keep the spray blended and stable. More technically we are using a solubilizer, Polysorbate 20. Polysorbate 20 is found in many food items, as well as hair care products, for its ability to bind oil to other ingredients. It is made from polyethoxylated sorbitan (chemical compounds derived from the dehydration of sugar alcohol) and oleic acid, a fatty acid found in animal and vegetable fats. It may not always be vegan friendly, but our is Vegan friendly and even Kosher. While it all may read like scary chemicals, keep in mind everything is made up of chemicals – even apples. Many natural room sprays do not include a legitimate emulsifier and rely upon salt or alcohol to help blend the oil and water. These items will not help form the tight bond needed. Which means you will have to shake their spray before and during each use; and this will also not allow even distribution of the fragrance.
The scents will be derived from a blend of essential oils and/or natural fragrance oils. These will all be phthalate free and skin safe. Because of the use of essential oils, sensitivities and allergies to specific components should be considered. And don’t forget pets that you may have! We intend to call out each scenting component to aid in your decision making. Fragrance will be roughly 3%. We must consider the formulary guidelines for fragrance use to not over do it. The last ingredient will be vegetable glycerin which will work to help distribute the oils.
Like everything else we do, packaging will be simple and functional. We plan to launch with a 240ml (roughly 8 ounces) amber plastic (PET, recycle #2) bottle with a heavy duty trigger sprayer. If there is strong interest, we may introduce other sizes as well as pouch variant for refilling the bottles to be more eco-friendly. Branding will be the same as our candles and be under the JÖL line. Side by side with a candle of the same scent, we think they would compliment each other well.
These are a room spray… the core purpose is to spray into the air withing any room to add the fragrance or mask unpleasant scents. Despite being called “linen” or “fabric” sprays, they are not ideal for spraying directly onto most fabrics. These will contain oil, albeit a very tiny amount of oil that will be dispersed with each pump of the spray trigger. If this is used applied on fabrics it can cause discoloration, darkening or stain. We suggest it is only applied lightly to easily washable fabrics, like pillow cases and throws; table cloths, runners or other fabrics placed over a surface for protection. Around here, we use large cloth napkins to cover armrests on our sofa to protect it from dirty hands. Lightly sprayed above a sofa or chair will allow the contents to move about more in the air and fall more evenly over a wider area.
For those who may head out on the road to travel, spray in your automobile’s interior – before and after the trip. Give a few sprays to your room when staying overnight in a hotel. Outdoors, spray upward into a canopy of umbrella that is providing protection from the sun to provide an aroma to set a mood. It will not be effective if spraying into a wide open area, but if there is a cover to hold the scent into an area it may have some benefits.
Why buy/use this spray over others?
Outside of it being natural and non aerosol, we think our approach to the formulation will be its best attribute and key differentiator. Few existing natural room sprays are using an emulsifier, and those that do are not using one effectively. This leads to a need to constantly shake the product each use. Some are as simple as water with essential oils, nothing more. Pricing vs. Quality of product is another positive in our favor. As we scour what is out there on the market already, we see that there are a lot of very pricey options on Etsy. They have very pretty labels, and wide variety of scents. Many are 4 ounces or less and selling for $8 at the lowest end. Looking at what is available through big retailers for like products, we find that the prices do not get much lower, and neither does the formulation in many cases. Bigger named brands exist, that are less expensive that our target range but with that comes less natural ingredients but more ingredients overall; yet they seem to apply emulsifiers in their product. Lastly, we feel that our assortment of fragrances are more robust and unique. We lean towards fewer food, floral and sweet scents that tend to be overdone by most others. We avoid doing what every body else is doing, as one size does not fit all