With all the snow and the freezing temps here in Chicago, it is keeping us warm thinking of what we are planning for this Spring. This year we are introducing a seasonality to our fragrances. We know we offer a lot of choice when it comes to scents, and it is hard for many folks to decide which to try. To lessen that pressure, we feel that offering select scent options for a part of the year is a better way to go. Plus, most folks tend to prefer certain scent types based upon the season. Spiced and Woody scents are more popular in Autumn and Winter; Fresh and sometimes floral for Spring; and with Summer many lean to lighter and citrus notes.
With our JÖL Candles we knew it would be tough to offer a wide variety of scents year round. Candles have a long, nearly indefinite, shelf life. This allows us to run production once on seasonal scents and let them sell through to then make room for a new scent or two to match the new season. This can translate well to our Soaps, but since Beard Oils have a shorter shelf life but are easier to make to order, we will offer our seasonal scents in Beard Care in such a manner. This saves us time, which is money, and allows our shoppers to get a fresher product. This seasonal approach to fragrance offerings will be limited to Beard Care, Soaps (bar & liquid) and Candles (where noted). Other items, like scrubs and lotions, are not included in this plan.
This SPRING we are rolling out our new seasonal scents. Some of these may be currently available as a “year round” scent, but will migrate to a seasonal offering. Here’s our list for Spring ’21:
- FRUITY RED SANGRIA: Red wine top notes; citrus, melon and mango middle notes. JÖL Candles Only
- GREEN TEA: Light, a touch grassy. JÖL Candles Only – very limited quantities
- BAMBOO FOREST: Fresh, crisp scent with subtle fruit and grass notes. Beard Care, Soaps and Candles
- ABSINTHE: Licorice, minty herbs and lemon. Beard Care, Soaps
- SHANGHAI: Ginger, Nectarine, Green Tea and Cardamom. Soaps Only
Those most aware of our scent offerings have seen 3 of these 4 fragrances already available. They have been much loved, but mostly in the warmer months. We feel these bring to life the Spring season and will work well as to launch this feature.
What current scents are going away, or retiring after the Winter Season?
- KUNUNURRA: Due to the availability of a key scent element, this scent is being retired as is. This name will linger on as our default sandalwood scent for lotions and shaving.
- BALSAM FIR + CEDAR: This was intended to be limited to the holiday season when introduced. It will certainly return!
- FIRENZE (herbal): An scent that has been with us since our beginning, but it is time to say good-bye.
- ATHENS (frankincense & myrrh with amber): Retired indefinitely. Maybe will return as an AUTUMN or WINTER scent.
- MONT VENTOUX (French Lavender): This scent will retire from use in Soaps. The lotion will carry on.
- LONDON (rose peony): Will return as a SUMMER scent and retire for the season afterwards.
- BAY RUM: Retiring from year round, will become a SUMMER/FALL option.
- HOWARD’S PIPE/BLACK CHERRY PIPE TOBACCO: Essentially the same scent for Beard Care and Candles, will step away for the SPRING, but will return late SUMMER.
We are sure some may be concerned about scents not listed here already. Don’t worry, there are scents we dare not touch in any way. They are signature scents of ours and have too many fans to ever think of retiring or even limiting their availability. Here’s a list of our “Core” or “Signature” Scents:
Frontiersman, Havana, Jakarta, Leather, Lexington, Matcha Mint, Oceania, Oxford, Grapefruit Rhubarb. As long as we are able to source their components, we will continue to offer these scents either in Beard Care, Soaps, or both.
With JÖL Candles being new, we are taking a look at how these trend with shoppers before we make strong decisions around their options. For now, we have no plans to change candle scents that are not listed above. Also, with the shelf life of Candles being indefinite, we can consistently offer a wider range of scents with a focus on how some scents pair well with any given season.
You may be wondering when this all kicks off. Our plan is to have all the new Spring Scents fully available by the end of February. Seasonal scents will be listed independently from our Signature Scents to make them easier to identify while shopping. With our “sort by fragrance” ability, it will make it easier to find a particular scent across all products. When it comes to Festivals and Pop-Ups, only our signature options will be available in entirety, select in season items may be available. If there is excess inventory of retired scents, we may offer them in person as well.
Like us on FACEBOOK (or tag us @pogonotrophics on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter) to let us know what you think and what scents you would like for us to offer.